Pages

your basic vegetable stir fry


Growing up, vegetables were as much a staple as white rice was in every meal. I remember Dad watching us kids with eagle eyes until we’ve cleaned our plates off any rice or veggie residue.

vegetable stir fry with rice
basic vegetable stir fry rice topping

It was a dictatorial household, I tell you. No kid was allowed to leave the table unless and until he or she has eaten the vegetables that Dad or Mom has dished on his or her plate. I remember my younger siblings and me trying to finish the generous servings of bitter gourd (ampalaya) that Dad would put on our plates, all the while tears streaming down our cheeks. Mealtimes could be such a drama sometimes, heh.

Grown up and a-wanting my veggies all the time, I can’t help but be grateful Dad and Mom taught us how to eat our veggies. I certainly couldn’t survive without them…which brings me to my all-time favorite easy-to-cook, ready-in-a-jiffy vegetable dish: vegetable stir fry.

If I’m pressed for time, there’s a fresh harvest from my backyard vegetable garden, and hubby’s on his way home, this veggie dish is my lifesaver.

Basic Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe 

vegetable stir fry ingredients

You’ll need:
1 lb pork, cut into bite size pieces
2 T soy sauce1 T sesame oil
1/2 t garlic powder
Dash of pepper
1 c water, divided
1 T vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium-sized sweet onion, sliced
1 c diagonally sliced green beans
2 c sliced zucchini (about 2 pieces)
1 c julienned carrots
Oyster sauce, to taste
cooking vegetable stir fry

  1. Marinate pork in soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder and pepper and let stand for 30 minutes.
  2. Cook the pork in its marinade, adding 1/2 c water, at high heat. As soon as it boils, lower heat to medium. Let simmer until water has evaporated and the fat has rendered. Place the pork to the side of the wok.
  3. Add vegetable oil (if needed) and sauté garlic and onion. When the onion has turned clear, add the green beans. Sauté for 5 minutes.
  4. Add the zucchini and sauté for another 5 minutes. 
  5. Add the carrots and sauté for 2 minutes.
  6. Add oyster sauce and adjust according to your taste. Add 1/2 c of water for sauce. As soon as the sauce is simmering, remove from heat and serve immediately with steamed rice. Yummy!
Notes:
Potatoes, broccoli, chayote, and cauliflower are also delicious additions to this vegetable stir fry dish.
 

2 comments:

  1. Yumm-o! I'm sure this is delish. Must cook something like this again. I don't use oyster sauce too often 'cause the girls aren't used to its taste yet. I just use little soy sauce and some salt and pepper. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i usually use the oyster sauce to sweeten the dish. sans that, i stick with the soy sauce but add a bit of sugar. ;)

      Delete